Thursday, May 20, 2010

Helping the Homeless

After reading this guest post at Saving and Giving, I was inspired to try this great idea with our family!

Everyone struggles with what to give and how to help the men and women at the stop light asking for food and money. I had a priest who once preached about having gift cards to hand out, but that can be very pricy for a family on a budget. On the other hand, I want to set a good example especially since my kiddos are always in the car with me.

That is when I read about this fabulous idea! Take some of your stockpile with you to give out for these special situations! I put together a bag of food and personal care items, but I struggled with knowing exactly what to put in. Here is what I ended up with:

- 1 Box of Rice Krispies
- 2 Fruit Bars
- 2 Sample Size of Wheat Thins
- 1 Bar of Soap
- 1 Deodorant
- 2 Bottles of Water
- 1 Travel Size Shampoo & Conditioner

I have a huge stockpile of food, but most of it requires some sort of cooking and/or other ingredients. I decided against using anything like this (ie. Stove Top, Potatoes, Canned Soup) just because it is hard to know what their situation is. All of the things I included I figured the person could use anywhere. I just did one bag for now, but will soon put together a couple just to keep in the car.

Now to put it in the car and wait!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is PR Friendly!